As part of a leading global financial institution and investment banking firm, the Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory Team (M&A) in New York combines global resources with local market expertise to provide the highest level of client service.
SMBC Nikko provides senior level attention and extensive expertise in mergers and acquisitions and related corporate advisory assignments. The senior professionals on the New York M&A team have completed over 100 cross border buy-side and sell-side transactions for the benefit of clients. Our bankers have established relationships with hundreds of companies and financial sponsors in both the Americas and abroad.
The international scope of our services allows us to provide deep industry knowledge in critical sectors of the global economy. The Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group consists of over 400 experienced investment bankers.
With a focus on domestic and cross-border transactions, our M&A bankers advise on both large-cap and small to mid-size situations for both public and private companies.
SMBC Nikko provides advisory services for:
- Corporate acquisitions and divestitures;
- Valuations and fairness opinions;
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances;
- Leveraged and management buyouts;
- Restructuring and distressed transactions.
- Explore and evaluate M&A strategy and opportunities through industry and competitive analysis
- Research on industries and potential targets or partners
- Identify, screen, recommend and provide access to prospective targets, acquirers or partners through our extensive Americas network
- Control entire transaction process
- Coordinate and organize the client deal team and counterparty interactions
- Coordinate with the various other due diligence and advisory professionals
- Provide a formal or informal valuation
- Advise on pricing strategy and dynamics
- Perform analyses and advise on transaction structure
- Coordinate legal, accounting, tax, environmental, human resources and other professionals in due diligence process
- Identify the significant business/financial issues
- Reflect due diligence results into the valuation model or structure
- Preparation for the negotiation
- Advise on negotiation
- Support for identifying and resolving problems
- Advise on acquisitions in and out of bankruptcy
- Recommend capital strategies and strategic options for underperforming business
Mergers & Acquisitions Contact and Background Information
Michael D. Baisley
Mr. Baisley has over 18 years of investment banking experience and an extensive background in cross-border M&A with Japanese and other Asian clients. He has served as Managing Director and investment banker for in excess of 100 transactions in his career including buy-side, sell-side, public, private, leveraged buy-outs and distressed transactions. He leads a team of professionals in New York responsible for the Americas Region.
Prior to joining SMBC Nikko in 2010, Mr. Baisley was a Co-Founder and Managing Director of a U.S. middle-market M&A and restructuring firm, TrueNorth Capital Partners, LLC and served as the head of its securities business. Previously, Mr. Baisley was a leader of the cross-border business centered in New York and Tokyo which conducted nearly all of Mitsubishi's cross-border M&A business with the U.S. on a collaborative / outsourced basis. Mr. Baisley began his career with Price Waterhouse LLP (now PricewaterhouseCoopers) in the Stamford, CT and New York, NY offices.
Education & Designation:
Certified Public Accountant (New York)
BS, Pennsylvania State University